Notes for Game 01|
By Andrew Wolan / BSSC
Game date: Dec 5, 2010
Coach’s Game Analysis:
Good game guys. For a team that had yet to play together, I think we did very well. We took control of the game early, both offensively and defensively, and never let go. Overall, we could not have asked for a better start to the season.
In regards to what I call “the three aspects of the game” (hitting, fielding and base running …pitching is its own animal), what stood out for me was base running. Not only did we run out every play, but we made some good heads-up decisions to snag extra bases when the opportunity arose. This will obviously help with run production throughout the season.
As for pitching, I think we can all agree that Marilyn will be our starter this season. :-)
- I noticed that on plays to second base, we would sometimes have two to three fielders covering the bag. That’s because we have three players in vicinity. In future games, let’s experiment with having the “short outfielder” cover second instead of the SS and 2B. If balls get behind second, this SOF will get the ball and either the SS or 2B will cover second. (We’ll talk about this more before our next game.)
- In the event that Marilyn can’t make a game, we should consider developing a back-up pitcher. Anyone interested?
- For fielding line-up, the “fielding by committee” approach worked ok. It wasn’t perfect, as it caused some confusion, but it was workable. We could try a rotating fielding line-up in future games if this approach becomes too chaotic.
- I’ll be posting batting stats on verdasyssoftball.com sometime this week. Since the field is a lot smaller than a conventional softball field , I’ll be recording non-traditional statistics. (More on this before our next game.)
- Probably the only bad news to report is that the photos I took came out blurry. (Lighting was not bright enough.) I have a photo of Natalie after she made a double play, but it was blurry. The video clips look fine, however.
|Dee:|| 4 for 4 with 3 runs and an RBI.|
|Garrett:|| 3 for 3 (SAC) with 3 RBIs.|
|Daniel:|| 3 for 4 with 3 runs scored.|
|Larry:|| 2 for 3 with a run and 3 RBIs.|
|Natalie:|| Fly ball grab followed by a 4-3 force out to Kim at first for the double play.|
|A-WOL:|| Diving grab of a fly ball (5th)|
|A-WOL:|| Diving grab of a fly ball followed by a flip to Dee at third for the double play.|
|Dee:|| Diving grab at third to end the game.|
Marilyn: 6 IP, 3 Ks, 1 BB, CG, Win.
- 3 for 4 with 2 runs. Beat play at first, second. Later BT at third after fielder lost control of ball on tag. Hit wall once.
- Two 6-3 force outs at short (4th?)
- Diving grab of a fly ball (5th)
- Bobbled grounder in 7th.
- Diving grab of a fly ball followed by a flip to Dee at third for the double play. (7th)
Andy Wolan is a team captain, reporter and photographer for the Indies #1. This article was not subject to the approval of the league or its clubs.