Notes for Game 07|
By Andrew Wolan / BSSC
Game date: Jan 16, 2011
Swing and a Miss
Coachís Game Analysis:
- As in Game 6, opposing team had flat pitches. Ump was not calling the pitches illegal. (Same ump from previous game.) However, I personally think the pitches were easier to hit.
- We gave up only 5 runs in the first 7 innings, but had a melt-down in the bottom of the 8th and gave up 6 runs.
- Neither team was particularly aggressive on base running for most of the game. The opposing team did turn up the pressure in the final inning. (For example: two base runners scored on the same play twice.) Probably the opposing team became aggressive because they were playing from a 5 run deficit and had little to lose.
There was confusion as to how many runs were scored in the final inning of play. Coming into the bottom half of the last inning of play, the score was 10-5 Indies #1. The red team (SaaM) said they scored 6 runs when I had only logged 5. The captain from the red team showed me their scorebook claiming 6 runs had been scored. Obviously, we donít keep score of the opposing teamís batters, so I didnít have much of a basis for an argument. I still think only 5 players scored. Itís possible that two players might have crossed the plate after a hit, with me logging only 1 run.
During the playoffs, weíll need to keep score of the opposing team, so we donít get hurt by a scoring error.
|Larry:|| 3 for 5 with 3 RBIs.|
|Marcus:|| 4 for 5 with 2 RBIs.|
|A-WOL:|| 4 for 5 with 3 runs.|
|Natalie:|| 4 for 5 with an RBI. (Hit wall 3 times.)|
|Indies #1:|| Batting around once. Each player had at least one hit.|
|Marcus:|| rocket throw to 1B for 6-3 put-out. (1st)|
|SaaM:|| 7-3 double play. (2nd)|
|SaaM:|| grab of a hot line drive hit by Dee to 3B.|
|Marcus:|| running catch of a shallow flair near the mound. (5th)|
|SaaM:|| leaping catch of a line-drive to SS. (8th)|
Marilyn: 7 2/3 IP, 4 Ks, 2 BB, CG, Loss.
- A guy on SaaM slid and collided with Larry, while Larry was covering 2B. Larry was hurt on play but was overall ok. As player jogged away, he said ďat least I hurt the guyĒ. Not cool.
- After Larry juggled the ball on a close play at second, the ump asked Larry to show him the ball to verify that he had control of it. He held it up for a split second and then threw it to home plate, because a base runner was trying to score. (Well, seemed funnier in person.) Runner would score on the play.
4 for 5 with 3 runs.
Played once at 2B in 3rd.
- One touch. (Basket catch off ceiling for out. Had no play at 1B or 2B because runners returned too quickly.)
- Had no plays on two grounders due to miscues with others on team. (Marilyn managed to grab a grounder to her left instead of letting it get to me. Later covered 1B after I thought Garrett had a play on grounder.)
- Caught a late throw to 2nd. Failed to sweep at legs after catch, when base runner had mistakenly stepped off bag.
Andy Wolan is a team captain, reporter and photographer for the Indies #1. This article was not subject to the approval of the league or its clubs.